Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Wandering Main St: Houlton


Route 1 in Houlton is the major business district, but Main St. is much more interesting.  In particular, Historic Market Square.  Old buildings line Main St where there are a number of smaller businesses.  This is a town that sports a Wal-Mart.

I say good for Houlton!





I will highlight a number of businesses here.

First, the Temple Theater.
Movie theaters are scarce north of Bangor.  It is nice to see one in Houlton.  I have not gone yet.  One of these days a good movie will be there when I can go see it.

Yorks Books
A little independent bookstore and card shop.  They carry and encourage Maine authors.  My husband loves history and I bought a book on the Maine Civil War regiment there.

There are other businesses including some nice eateries.  Houlton has become a foodie town.

But that is a topic for another day.

Be seeing you.

No comments:

Post a Comment