Thursday, February 2, 2012

Fort Kent Blockhouse


I have been saving this photo because this is one of the major stories I wanted to tell.  I love hanging near the blockhouse when I go to Fort Kent.  It is a very peaceful area, and I love being near history.

The history in this case is the Bloodless Aroostook War.  This is my understanding of the conflict.  The Treaty of Paris in 1783 marked the end of the Revolutionary War, but left the border between Maine (Massachusetts at the time of the signing) and Canada (Nova Scotia at the time).  The Crown wanted the St. John Valley south of the St. John River.  The lush farmland and forests were coveted properties.  Not to be outdone, the young republic thought the border should be north of the St. John River.  Troops were sent to the disputed area from both sides.

This is a by-product of the conflict.  When the snow melts, and I am up there next I will get more complete shots of the area. 

The Webster-Ashburton Treaty of 1842 resolved the conflict making the northern border the St. John River.  It seems to be the most reasonable resolution to the conflict for me.  Both sides got a piece of the lush farmland.  So it is the reason why the border at Fort Kent spans the St John River.

Some of the conflict still exists today.  Canadian loggers have a time complying with the rules about logging in the State of Maine. 

I guess, in a fashion, some things never change. 

Be seeing you.

No comments:

Post a Comment