Wednesday, February 22, 2012

I Should Have Bought It . . .

. . . when I saw it at Marden's.


Sorry . . . I couldn't resist finishing the familiar jingle. 

Mainers love a good deal.  Canadians doubly so.  Especially now that the Canadian dollar is much stronger.

Mardens does this by buying surplus items and selling them at discounted prices.  I have seen coloring books, yarn, furniture, flooring, clothing and tchotchkies.  During bad weather (like the ice storm of '98), people would watch for generators being sold. 

It is a favorite for the locals.  Conversations would crop up on the benefits of certain locations (the stores are scattered around the state and each location develops a distinct personality).  They would share with their friends what gems they found their last trip.  If you have a open mind, you can find some great deals.

The picture above is the sign for the Presque Isle location.  The locations in Aroostook County are Houlton, Presque Isle, and Madawaska.

There are two other discounters, Renys and Millers.  But Mardens touts that it gets its merchandise surplus.

I admit, I don't take advantage like I should.  Pity, because I like a good deal, too.

Be seeing you.

No comments:

Post a Comment