Friday, February 17, 2012

Reminds Me of My Childhood

 
I had errands to do in Bangor, and we were hungry, so we ducked into Massimos Bakery on Hammond Street.
 
 
It is in downtown Bangor.  Downtown Bangor full of older buildings and nooks and crannies.  Most downtowns are a street or two.  But downtown Bangor encompasses streets both great and small.  Hammond is one of the greater ones. 
 
 
They also have a restaurant which is what we were looking for, but it was closed for the week.  No big, the bakery was welcoming enough.
 
 
We got our lunch and ate in the car.  My husband got a panini.  I got red pepper and onion pizza.  No cheeze on it, but it was delicious. 
 

For dessert, crostatines (little crostata).  They are jam filled pies with a cookie-like crust.  I have had plenty of bad crostata with flavorless, dry crusts.  This was sublime.  The crust was buttery with a hint of almond.

See, I have a confession to make.  I am Italian-American.  I grew up in Southern Connecticut where good Italian food is easy to find.  I don't miss the crunch and hustle of Connecticut, but I miss good Italian food.

I found the Holy Grail.


Real, bubbly, crusty Italian bread.  You bet I brought a loaf home. 

It was just like when I was growing up.

Be seeing you.

 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Bangor is an amazing city. Surprises at every turn! Massiomo's is an awesome find, and it's wares look deliciously enticing. I may not be Italian, but you got my stomach growling with minimal effort. I love your blog! It's one of your best ideas ever (and you've had some good ones before!)

    Keep on blogging, I'll keep reading!
    Trevor

    ReplyDelete