Thursday, February 16, 2012

Personal Story: IPA and hot sauce


I tend to be a bit of a hermit when I am on the road.  Most times, I hide in my room when I am not working.

Sometimes, though, I will take myself out for a nice meal.  I will grab a table with a book or my cel or my Dsi.  When I am feeling particularly social, I will sit at the bar.

So one day I decide to sit at the bar in a restaurant in Calais for some prime rib.  India Pale Ale (IPA) has been my least favorite beer.  I like darker, full-bodied beers, but I always found IPA to be too bitter.  So I surprised myself and ordered it.

The bartender asks me if I want hot sauce for my beer.  He explains to me it is a common way to drink IPA.  Feeling adventurous, I say "sure."

Then the heavens opened up, and the angels begin to sing.  The bitter elements that make IPA unpleasant for me mellow out, and the beer takes on a pleasant, rounded flavor.  You can get a real hit of hot sauce in the bottom of your glass, but that can be fun, too.

This is now my new favorite beer. 

This picture is Baxter Brewing Company's IPA from my Valentine's Day dinner at Hobnobbers Pub.  I love the glass they serve it in.  It is a fine brew.

I have explained before about the good food at Hobnobbers.  This restaurant has an interesting tale behind it. 

That story, and more pictures from our romantic meal, next.

Be seeing you.

No comments:

Post a Comment