Thursday, February 16, 2012

Storytime: Hobnobbers Pub


I thought I would welcome you the way I was welcomed on Valentine's Day.  Our table had a window cling to mark our reservation and a treat. 

Now are you sitting comfortably?  Then I shall begin.

Hobnobbers Pub took the place of a little bistro at the end of the downtown block in town.  This strip would be straight ahead as you headed up Route 16 into town.  Some of the recipes from the bistro were kept including their Bistro salad.



We opted for the pear-raspberry salad for our dinner.

Unfortunately, disaster struck the pub.  A man robbed the place.  In order to cover his tracks, he set a fire behind the restaurant.  The result: the majority of the downtown strip was destroyed.  It was a big tragedy in town.  We had assistance from surrounding communities. 

Sad thing about a small town, many of us watched the firefight.  My kids asked to go watch.  I said, "Okay, but stay out of their way." 

Thankfully, everyone got out alive.  There were a few apartments above the businesses and the residents got out safely.  Only one business survived the fire intact.  Hobnobbers was destroyed.



As with my dinner (my husband and I both had wonderful prime rib), Hobnobbers story has a happy ending. 

The offender was quickly caught and sentenced for his crime.  The town made a deal with the owner and it now resides at the former site of Milo Community Hospital.  They have pictures of people who were born at that hospital on the walls as well as a floor plan of the former hospital. 

Because of all that, we left fat and happy with leftover beef and potatoes we cooked for breakfast the next day.  We love Hobnobbers!

Be seeing you.

No comments:

Post a Comment